“Everyday, think as you wake up, today I am fortunate to be alive, I have a precious human life, I am not going to waste it. I am going to use all my energies to develop myself, to expand my heart out to others; to achieve enlightenment for the benefit of all beings. I am going to have kind thoughts towards others, I am not going to get angry or think badly about others. I am going to benefit others as much as I can.” – Dalai Lama
There is something to be said for gratitude. It is amazing how one simple and easy positive action such as being grateful, can change so much in a person's life. I have found that to be very true in my own life. I have a book with blank pages that I have labeled my gratitude journal and each day, I write down things that I am grateful for before starting my day. Sometimes the only thing I write is that I'm grateful I woke up. After getting my coffee and going outside with my dog while it is just dawn and hearing the birds singing in the still quiet morning air, sitting there with her I can't help be feel grateful for just being able to hear. Hearing the birds sing. The simple act of hearing that we may sometimes take for granted until we can't do it anymore, makes me feel, well, grateful. I give myself a few minutes in the morning air to listen to the birds, to thank God for all that He has blessed me with and to just be. It's a great way to start the day.
Here are some other benefits that we can receive just by practicing "an attitude of gratitude"
- Gratitude makes us happier - It has been noted that a 5-minute a day gratitude journal/session can increase our long-term well-being by 10% which is the same as doubling your income. How can practicing this simple act compare? Well gratitude improves health, relationships, personality and career.
- Gratitude makes people like us - Gratitude makes us nicer, more trusting, more social and more appreciative which in turn, helps us make more friends and deepen our already existing relationships
- Gratitude makes us healthier and keeps us away from the doctor
- Gratitude boosts our career
- Gratitude strengthens our emotions and develops our personality
- Gratitude makes us more optimistic and also reduces materialism
- Gratitude increases spiritualism and makes us less self-centered
- Increases self-esteem
- Improves sleep
- Gratitude lets us live longer
- Increases our energy levels which makes us more likely to exercise
- Gratitude simply makes us feel good and also helps us bounce back
- Makes our memories happier and reduces feelings of envy
- Gratitude helps us relax
- Makes us friendler
- Helps our marriages
- Makes us look good
- Helps us make friends and deepen friendships
- Gratitude makes us more effective managers
- Helps us network
- Improves decision making and increases goal achievement
- Increases productivity
This underutilized tool called gratitude, is certainly a remedy for improving life-satisfaction and happiness.
“If the only prayer you said in your whole life was, “thank you,” that would suffice.” – Meister Eckhart
No comments:
Post a Comment