Translate

Wednesday, April 27, 2016

A Budget And Staying Healthy

Although there are times when fiances get tight there are a few things we should never skimp on or cut.  Our health.  Without our health, we can't work and ultimately get into a better financial situation.

Can't afford a gym membership?  Don't let it stop you from exercise!  Being a single parent, I have to make sacrifices and cut where I can but I don't let it stop me from making an effort to stay healthy. Think outside of the box and find a way around it.  Exercise at home.  Walking, biking, running and even housework all provide the benefits of exercise with no cost!  I am an avid runner so in between my yoga and Tae Bo DVDs, I run.  I'm winning on both accounts.  I'm exercising and saving money. Want the equivalent of strength training?  Use your own body weight.  Push-ups, sit ups, knee bends all provide the benefits of building and maintaining muscle. Inexpensive exercise equipment like a jump rope or exercise ball or resistance bands can also be added to help with the building and maintaining of muscle.  

Overall, cooking at home is a money and calorie savor.  Opt to buy cheap but healthy foods. There is no reason to reach for the junk food just because you can't afford a lot when it comes to buying groceries.  Some of the healthiest foods that are quite affordable are beans, a low-calorie source of fiber and protein; peanuts, rich in fiber and heart-healthy fats; homemade cereal, that mix oats, grains, raisins and nuts bought in bulk; homemade drinks like brewed ice tea or fruit and veggie smoothies which are less expensive than prepared store-bought bottled drinks.  Buying frozen fruit and veggies which aren't as awesome as fresh but are still relatively cheap and still packed with vitamins and anti-oxidants. In searching online for "beans recipes" there are 20,900,000 results.

One I might suggest,
 shows results for other things besides healthy recipes such as nutrition and meal planning just to name a few.  

Never skip on medication.  It is estimated that 55% of adults fail to comply with their medication regime prescribed by their doctors. Ignoring medical problems like high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes or high cholesterol can lead to bigger problems as we all know.  Speak to your doctor if you are having trouble paying for your medications.  It is possible a generic equivalent will work just as well and cost considerably less.  There are also pharmacy discount programs which offer significant price reductions for medication.  Doing a quick search of pharmacy discount cards over 6,510,000 results appeared many of which are free to obtain and some offer cash-back or rewards points.  Look to see which one might be right for you.





No comments:

Post a Comment