Translate

Saturday, July 27, 2013

July 27, 2013

About 3 years ago I quit my steady job as a paralegal to be more physically present in the life of my young son.  It was a decision that was not made easily and has come with great stress and worry coupled with happiness and freedom.  What this major life changing decision has afforded me is something that I could never put a price on.  Time with my son.  I have been able to take him to school, pick him up from school, work as a lunch room assistant and be present during the school day which has allowed me to see and interact with him during the day.  I have been able to volunteer for field trips, be at home in the evening to help him with his homework, prepare dinner and watch more closely what is going on in his young life. 
 
On a business level, it has offered me the opportunity to build my life my way and explore my creative entrepreneurial side of making a living outside of Corporate America and punching a time clock.  Without having the hours of 9-5 or 8-4 filled with a "day job" I am free to work and make money as I chose and on my terms.  I would not trade it for the world.  One day my son will be grown and gone and although I know for certain I will wonder where the time went, I will be able to look back on all the memories of being physically present in my son's life and the difference it made in both of our lives and what the struggles and challenges that came along with that tough decision did to make me a better, stronger, more present mom, woman and person and the important life lessons that it taught my son.


Some days it is a heroic act just to
refuse the paralysis of fear
and straighten up and step into another day.
- Edward Albert

No comments:

Post a Comment